Author Topic: 64-bit DPInst.exe Message  (Read 20558 times)

Chris and Nye

• Wizard
    • View Profile
64-bit DPInst.exe Message
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »
Hey Gerry,

When running the libpinproc Windows installer on an AMD 64-bit machine, I'm getting the following error message:

"You have to run the 64-bit version of DPInst.exe on the machine.

Contact the vendor that provided you this package."

This is the USB driver installer, correct?  I thought I read somewhere in the wiki that I'm supposed to install the 32-bit USB driver anyway (which I've actually done independent of the installer package.)

Please screw my head on straight.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris and Nye

• Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: 64-bit DPInst.exe Message
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »
Okay, nevermind about the 32-bit USB driver comment -- I confused it with the comment about installing 32-bit Python.

Chris

Gerry Stellenberg

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PinballControllers.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:15:14 PM »
My apologies Chris.  I don't know if you're the first AMD64 user to try to install the tools (everybody else Intel 64?), or if something changed in the latest FTDI driver to keep it from running with the 32-bit dpinst.exe.  Incidentally, I recently installed Win7-64 in a VM on my AMD64 machine, and I see the exact same issue.

All the installer really does is extract the files (pinprocfw.exe, the FTDI driver, and the pypinproc self-installing python extension) and the attempts to run the FTDI driver installation.  It's the FTDI driver installation that's failing.

The good news is... the installer created all of the files you need in the installation directory.  So you have a few choices:

1) Wait for me to create an installer that works for you (might be weeks or months.:( )
2) Get the 64-bit version of dpinst.exe from Microsoft and run it in the FTDI driver directory to install the FTDI driver.
3) Install the FTDI driver yourself.  You can download it from FTDI's Driver Page.  It sounds like you've maybe already done this anyway.

The last option is probably the easiest.

Then, if you have Python installed, you can just go into the ext/ subdirectory and install the pypinproc extension.

This assumes you want to create your game in pyprocgame.  If you want to do it in C, you'll need to install and build the libpinproc library from source.  The installer doesn't provide that anyway.

Let us know if you need more help.
- Gerry
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:32:49 PM by gstellenberg »

fantasygoat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:19:39 PM »
I'm having this issue on Win7 x86 running as a VM.  Unfortunately I can't seem to install the drivers from FTDI as there doesn't appear to be such a device on my VM to install to, and the download from the website doesn't include an installation program to do it for me.

benboogaard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 10:52:03 AM »
Some problem over here. Will try to install is manualy.

Win 7 64 Bit AMD

Gerry Stellenberg

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PinballControllers.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »
I'm having this issue on Win7 x86 running as a VM.  Unfortunately I can't seem to install the drivers from FTDI as there doesn't appear to be such a device on my VM to install to, and the download from the website doesn't include an installation program to do it for me.

Sorry for just seeing this now.  Judging by your other posts, I think you've figured this out, but just to close the loop:

One of the download options on the FTDI D2XX download page is for a "setup executable".  Download and run that, and it should install the FTDI driver.

Some problem over here. Will try to install is manually.

OK, please let us know if the manual FTDI driver install doesn't resolve your issues.  In fact, if *anybody* can't get the tools installed because of FTDI issues, please post here.  I've received one email report from a user who's having trouble with the FTDI driver relative to the single-click installer, and I'm still trying to get more information to help figure out what's going on.

Thanks.
- Gerry

briancox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 11:12:49 PM »
Hi guys,

I need to get my P-ROC up and running on a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10, and I'm also running into this problem, among other things...

Has anyone figured this out yet???

Has anyone successfully run the installer on Windows 10? Any special instructions?

Thanks!

Brian Cox

Paikuhan76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 11:49:23 PM »
" Install the FTDI driver yourself.  You can download it from FTDI's Driver Page.  It sounds like you've maybe already done this anyway."

Did this and it said that the requested action requires elevation and the installation fails.

briancox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 02:18:45 AM »
Yeah, I got the exact same message...

Does anyone have a work-around for this? I've got a game going to the NW Pinball Show in about two weeks, and need to get this up and running,

Thanks!

Brian Cox

MOcean

• P3 Developers
  • Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 06:00:37 AM »

Did you try a right click on the FTDI 64bit driver installer so you can select "run as administrator" ?

- Michael

quote author=Paikuhan76 link=topic=384.msg14198#msg14198 date=1431920963]
" Install the FTDI driver yourself.  You can download it from FTDI's Driver Page.  It sounds like you've maybe already done this anyway."

Did this and it said that the requested action requires elevation and the installation fails.
[/quote]

pinbot

• "Pinball is fun!!! Participate in tournaments!!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 09:23:45 PM »
I downloaded it, and ran it as admin, and there were no problems installing it.

MOcean

• P3 Developers
  • Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 10:55:49 PM »
Why's the specific error you are seeing?

When you run Python and try to import pinproc are you getting the DLL error?

briancox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 01:59:34 AM »
@pinbot - When you say you downloaded "it", exactly what file are you talking about? A quick internet search, including the FTDI driver page, doesn't yield a specific place to download a 64-bit version of the file DPInst.exe. Sounds like you may be able to get it as part of a package if you're a developer and install the Windows Driver Kit (WDK).

The error you get with the one-click installer is that a 64-bit version of this file is required, and looks the installer just quits at that point.

Yes, you probably can download a different 64-bit driver from the FTDI page, but doesn't seem to be called "DPInst.exe".

What is really needed is a work-around for the one-click installer that will install correctly on a 64-bit machine.

BC

MOcean

• P3 Developers
  • Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 04:23:39 PM »

Hi guys,

I need to get my P-ROC up and running on a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10, and I'm also running into this problem, among other things...

Has anyone figured this out yet???

Has anyone successfully run the installer on Windows 10? Any special instructions?

Thanks!

Brian Cox

I'm pretty sure you've moved on to MPF, however I've written a new one click installer and it worked for me on Windows 10 when I tested it today.

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=626.msg14604#msg14604

epotech

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 06:36:47 AM »
Tried installing but i already have the master branches. Need the DEV install for P3-ROC. Didn't work so i just selected to install the libpinproc etc and not the drivers or Python (as already have them). it got further but gave the attached error.
 Do i need to uninstall everything and do a clean install?