Author Topic: Announcing: SkeletonGame - Making PyProcGame programming a little easier  (Read 15205 times)

relwin

• View Profile
http://pinballprogramming.com is the new home for links and resources regarding PyProcGameHD

I tried the proc_env_installer_wHD.exe for Win8 and I kept getting cmake errors (below).
Any tips if the P-ROC environment already loaded? I already have a working MinGW/python2.6/P-ROC (with libpinproc, etc).
I renamed the P-ROC, MinGW folders just to test and still had problems.

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64>setlocal
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64>mkdir C:\P-ROC\yaml-cpp-0.2.5\bin
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64>cd C:\P-ROC\yaml-cpp-0.2.5\bin
C:\P-ROC\yaml-cpp-0.2.5\bin>C:\P-ROC\cmake\bin\cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" ..
'C:\P-ROC\cmake\bin\cmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
C:\P-ROC\yaml-cpp-0.2.5\bin>if 9009 NEQ 0 goto failed
C:\P-ROC\yaml-cpp-0.2.5\bin>ECHO "YAML CPP INSTALL PROCESS FAILED.  Capture the
above for additional info."
"YAML CPP INSTALL PROCESS FAILED.  Capture the above for additional info."
C:\P-ROC\yaml-cpp-0.2.5\bin>PAUSE
Press any key to continue . . .

I'm ending up with this duplicate folder structure, thus not finding C:\P-ROC\cmake\bin\cmake.exe :
C:\P-ROC\cmake\bin\cmake\bin

This fails for anything building with cmake.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:21:13 PM by relwin »

MOcean

• Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
Ugh. Sorry for this. I've seen this happen on some windows XP boxes. Not sure why but the nsis installer becomes confused and replaces it's $instdir variable with the location it first writes a file to.  I'm not sure what the root cause is, but I have a work around I can try that should work.

I'll try to have it up early tomorrow.

Thanks,
- Michael

MOcean

• Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
Announcing: SkeletonGame - Making PyProcGame programming a little easier
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2016, 11:12:16 AM »
Hi All,

A new version of the installer has been built.  I found two things that might account for the odd behavior I've seen on some machines (previously only XP, but now also rewin has seen this on a win8 box), where the installer fails, and the behavior is creating duplicate nested paths.

I hope this version fixes those issues.  If so, I will replace the main installer link with this version.

--link removed--

Thank you all for your patience!
- Michael

The SkeletonGame/PyProcGame/PyProcGameHD Windows installer has moved:

http://skeletongame.com/files/proc_env_installer_wHD.exe

This version (1.12) has been updated to pull files from SkeletonGame.com instead of the now defunct Dropbox public link.

Also you can find a fair amount of documentation at http://SkeletonGame.com
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:31:54 PM by MOcean »

relwin

• View Profile
Ok, install works!
What's with the somewhat insulting "Balls Missing" on test game startup?  ;)
(just kidding, Archer says stuff much worse!)

Thanks for the quick turnaround!
--r.e.

MOcean

• Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2016, 02:26:04 PM »
Finally!  Glad that did it.

http://pinballprogramming.com/step1-install/

Check out 2c; you need to hold the '1' key to simulate triggering the left-most trough switch (the missing third ball). Or you could follow on and install the graphical switch/lamp client, but I don't know just how far down this rabbit hole you are going (I assume you're just peeking).

If you have questions, please ask!

relwin

• View Profile
Or you could follow on and install the graphical switch/lamp client, but I don't know just how far down this rabbit hole you are going (I assume you're just peeking).

If you have questions, please ask!
I followed your instructions (step 2c, etc) and had no problems. For the graphical switch tester I couldn't locate t2_SM.jpg so I downloaded an ipdb.org pix. Pretty slick!  (my cobbled-together version I made last year works ok but modifying it isn't easy)
Can this tester also pulse coils? I found it's a useful feature. However, specialized hardware control (like pulse-then-hold) needs a little coding.

MOcean

• Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
Cool.

That version can't light lamps or pulse drivers from the GUI/OSC interface. I had it on my todo list for a while, since it would help people get flipping faster.

A slightly updated service mode *is* included on the game side in SkeletonGame that you could use for now (I think 'A' starts service mode?). I know it's not as convenient as the GUI-based testing... If enough people ask for it, I'll add it :)

relwin

• View Profile
Getting the Archer whitewood playing (Skeleton-Archer, or perhaps Archerton, or maybe Archskellington ) was relatively painless...good job!

Is there an option to not pre-load assets on startup, but yet have them available, say dynamically?
For us noobs who have to restart frequently, not having to wait for pre-load would help with our learning curve.

Thanks!

Rosh

• Josh Kugler
    • View Profile
MOcean and I are discussion this right now, there are a variety of implications we need to think through.  A few thoughts in the meantime . . .

1) for many "game modes", I load the assets, especially any long intro types,  locally when the mode is starting, so they are not occupying memory when the are rarely needed, plus that reduces the asset loading time at boot up.  This obviously only makes sense if the ball is being held at the time to avoid any risk of latency.   I also use 'mp4's for long intro screens since that module does not pre-loading. with MP4s you still use a separate audio file that get played at the same time, not part of the mp4, at least at this time, but for your game if audio gets slightly out of sync, should not be noticeable.  Certainly depending on how we implemented 'delayed loading' I may change some of that to centralize it and to insure I'm not reloading stuff I should not have to.  Always a debate between loading assets centrally or within a mode.  Since a lot of my code pre-dates the asset loader,  I have quite the mix.

2) Sometimes I will use an abbreviated asset yaml that only has the stuff I know I need for what I am testing for a particular mode (as well things absolutely required to get to that mode).  I've also used a local 'main' in a mode file, that still creates a generic skeleton game class,  to just launch into that mode directly. 

MOcean

• Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
For mp4/AVI movies, you can tag the asset with "streamingMovie:True" in the asset_list.yaml to load the mp4 at play-time.   For other types of animations (e.g., png image sequences) we don't have that option. 

As Josh said, we revisited adding "streaming" support to png sequences today.  Seems doable, but usage needs to be managed carefully to be used effectively --loading the frames from disk as needed is likely to result in momentary run loop stalling and a lousy play experience. 

I, like Josh, use an asset_list_quick.yaml for quick and dirty iterative testing, and that file has most animations pointing to a placeholder.png, which is much quicker to load than a long animation.  Would that work for you in this instance?

relwin

• View Profile
Would that work for you in this instance?
Possibly, but don't rush anything on my part -- I'm just noting my opinion on what is easy/not so easy for this dev environment, especially when starting up.

In expediting porting Archer gameplay to a different system I got my display server functional under the SkeletonGame (it uses simple UDP text strings) and I'm in progress of porting over my specific asset manager. From that I can duplicate most of the media activity of the current game, using the gameplay features of SkeletonGame.

I use a simplified asset file in CSV format, so I can easily add categories & tags to any media. However, my asset list is over 500 media items so I'm unwilling to change it anytime soon...I rue the day of keying in 500+ yaml entries!

The advantage I've found to using a separate display server is it won't lag gameplay when dynamically loading assets (and a SSD helps out too!) -- but you do lose the close-coupled control.  And you gain extra complexity, which we all need...  :-\

Rosh

• Josh Kugler
    • View Profile
MOcean and I are on in a slack channel throughout the day with a bunch of home-brew guys, so you can alway drop in there with any questions, etc.  I don't check this board as much as I used to.  We can get you on there if you want.

MOcean

• Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2017, 04:26:22 PM »
The SkeletonGame/PyProcGame/PyProcGameHD Windows installer has moved:

http://skeletongame.com/files/proc_env_installer_wHD.exe

This version (1.12) has been updated to pull files from SkeletonGame.com instead of the now defunct Dropbox public link.

Also you can find a fair amount of documentation at http://SkeletonGame.com
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:32:28 PM by MOcean »

Sgtfox

• View Profile
Re: Announcing: SkeletonGame - Making PyProcGame programming a little easier
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
Hi guys.
Building my first custom game and having some trouble getting the Windows installer to work.
Getting about 70% of the way through before it errors out. This is where it's halting [See attachment].
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I'm installing on a Windows 7 machine.