Author Topic: Announcing: SkeletonGame - Making PyProcGame programming a little easier  (Read 15202 times)

Mark Jarzewiak

• Wizard
  • Mark Jarzewiak
    • View Profile
Sounds like all good progress. 

MOcean

• Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
I've made a metric ton of progress over the weekend (including a bunch of documentation).

Dan's help as an early tester has been stellar (pun not intended). I've been trying to iron out everything that he mentioned as tricky or confusing due to lack of documentation or sufficient examples.  I've also been adding features to make it easier for users to customize things that I noticed unchanged from the sample I sent in the video he posted: the new yaml driven attract mode is clearly an example of this, and now I've made the score display a bit more customizable via yaml as well. 

I'm hoping to post a real update later today.

Stay tuned :)

- Michael

Mark Jarzewiak

• Wizard
  • Mark Jarzewiak
    • View Profile
Seeing this update makes me more excited. 

Mark Jarzewiak

• Wizard
  • Mark Jarzewiak
    • View Profile
Bumping to see how this is coming along.

MOcean

• Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
Sorry; I'm out of town, and I'll be back later this week.

There are updates for sure, but the biggest things of note are:

- I've decided to merge SkeletonGame into the HD DMD fork (that is they will be distributed and maintained together). You can use hd dmd without the whole SkeletonGame "scaffolding", but, for new games, I don't know why you'd choose not to use it.

- not only has Dan been putting it through its paces, but Rosh has been experimenting with it as well.

- there are a slew of new features that have been added.

More and more SkeletonGame feels one part "naked, modular JD", one part "event system tweaking", and one part "helper library"

I hope that when I finally get it out there people actually care about it!

Sorry for the delay and the lack of communication. I can send you a link to the "beta" via PM when I get back.

Mark Jarzewiak

• Wizard
  • Mark Jarzewiak
    • View Profile
Thanks for the update.  Hope your travels go well.

bonnevil69

• P3 Developers
  • Matthew Bonnema
    • View Profile
great idea merging it with the HD DMD stuff    Now i am even looking more forward to using it for a good start on doom 
thanks Michael for spending the time on such cool stuff
DeadPin and Doom

PJmckevitt

• View Profile
Looking forward to this, can't wait!

MOcean

• Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
I've been sending people "early access" versions via PM. At some point I just need to bite the bullet and release the blasted thing.

PJmckevitt

• View Profile
Release The Kraken!

MOcean

• Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:33:55 PM by MOcean »

MOcean

• Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
More docs coming. Mostly about dmd examples and differences from the other versions.

Rosh

• Josh Kugler
    • View Profile
More docs coming. Mostly about dmd examples and differences from the other versions.

Nice to know you listen to me, sometimes. ;-)

On a serious note there are some things that are different and if you migrate existing code, you will likely run into some issues, but none will be true show stoppers, they will just require some modifications.  In addition, there is code you can likely pull out if you wanted to, but would be necessary to do so. The professor and I will be happy to provide guidance and assistance for those who decide to move to the HD framework.

As I have mentioned before, the biggest changes that could effect code are around the assetManager and whether you are using fonts before that is done and that fact that layers are now have transparent rather than having a black background.  However, there is a great opportunity for you in the process to see where you have lower layers being drawn that are likely not supposed to be, and that would be due to not using the 'opaque' feature properly.  Fixing that in this process will improve performance of your machine. However, it will likely not find all of the places.

Curbfeeler

• Wizard
  • Dan - Des Moines, IA
    • View Profile
Oh, didn't see this yesterday.  Sorry, been busy at work.  I've been waiting to release my Pinbot 2.0 code until after this so will go ahead and release it this weekend.  It will hopefully be useful as an example of how powerful Michael's framework is, as I have very little code of my own compared to how much functionality I've got.

I do want to say that I am new-ish to python, so while it's an example, it might in places be an example of what NOT to do :)

Dan