Author Topic: How to start  (Read 1248 times)

gipelo

• View Profile
How to start
« on: January 13, 2015, 03:23:55 AM »
Hi all !!!!
I'm new in P-roc world, I start to plan a DIY pinball developpement, But before investing in the different P-roc I would like to be sure I would be able to program it ( I have some programming skills in Php, VB etc...and Python should be ok) . So I used the windows installer to have everything installed at once. But after this installation I don't know how to start... what program  to launch...does someone can help me ?

thanks
Gilles

MOcean

• P3 Developers
  • Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
Re: How to start
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:46:05 AM »
Welcome! 

I guess the question is: what do you plan to build?  You can launch starter.py, but not connected to a real game that doesn't really do anything other than get you familiar with how the code looks and how to use the dmd and (keyboard based) switch simulator.

I've helped a number of people get running on The Visual Pinball-P-ROC bridge (VPROC) so that Python code can control the game logic for a machine being simulated under VP (ball, lamps, coils, switches, flippers), though this is easier if you're starting a retheme.

I had once toyed with the idea of making a guide to custom machine development in VP controlled by VPROC, but I have more pressing documentation to do (mostly around the VGADMD code).

Anyway, I recommend you look through the docs on pyprocgame over at pindev.org so you can properly set your config.yaml and try to run starter.py, so you can see the simulator in action.

We'll get you going. Just let us know what you want to do :)

- Michael

Curbfeeler

• Wizard
  • Dan - Des Moines, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 10:06:04 AM »
Hello and welcome.  I have a bias, and I contend that the best route for the absolute and complete beginner is to get the P-ROC Judge Dredd up and flipping on Visual Pinball and debugging in a development environment called Wing IDE.  It's just a personal bias, nothing scientific, but I contend this is one of the best possible ways to dig in and learn how this all works.

Here is my sales pitch:  Judge Dredd table is a complete table that works 100% and hasn't been touched in ages (thus is very stable).  Also, most of us on the board are at least familiar with it.  By getting it running on Visual Pinball you can kick the tires on all this hobby pinball stuff and decide if it's for you without buying anything.  But you get the sense that you're really playing pinball, as opposed to pressing keys on a keyboard.

As far as WingIDE, this is again personal bias.  I prefer to learn by debugging and stepping through code.  I know others don't work this way, but I always have.  WingIDE allows you to set breakpoints, set watch windows, etc., which to me is invaluable.

Anyway, if you decide you'd like to try my highly recommended route, I have a document that I've been working on for a while now that will get you there.  The first step is the 1-step windows installer, so you're on your way already.

PM me if interested.

Dan

dave_h

• Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 08:37:04 AM »
and Python should be ok

Famous last words.  :D It's a very nice language but to start trying to jump in at the deep end it can be tricky, confusing & frustrating. Easily done.
Maybe some people including myself have thought well it can't be that hard and get stuck. Stick at it through all the tough points and you'll come good.

Now you have Python/pyrocgame installed you can set a switch for fakepinproc in the config.yaml. Download JD and add this to your games directory. Open a terminal and run Python JD.py. Now the game should run and you can see you don't have to use VP to learn it.

Go through the attract mode and edit some things, familiarize yourself and run the terminal again to see your changes.

I was learning dicts & lists before the very basics. It's a strange way of working so I'd recommend going through some basic tutorials or book. This can be quite decent for reference and still uses Python 2.7?? http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/