Author Topic: Installation errors  (Read 3640 times)

Toyguy

• View Profile
Installation errors
« on: November 02, 2014, 01:47:38 AM »
I just received my order of driver boards and was reading that I would need to be using the dev branches of libpinproc and pypinproc for the PD-LED, instead of the master versions the 1-click installer puts in.  I downloaded both branches and installed them in C:\P-ROC as libpinproc and pypinproc respectively.  That way I don't disturb the working 1-click setup.  Building libpinproc seemed to go OK.  The python setup.py install fails however, as follows:

C:\MinGW\bin\g++.exe -shared -s build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\pypinproc.o build\t
emp.win32-2.6\Release\dmdutil.o build\temp.win32-2.6\Release\dmd.o build\temp.wi
n32-2.6\Release\pinproc.def -L/usr/local/lib -L../libpinproc/bin -LC:\Python26\l
ibs -LC:\Python26\PCbuild -lusb -lftdi1 -lpinproc -lpython26 -lmsvcr90 -o build\
lib.win32-2.6\pinproc.pyd
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot fin
d -lusb
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot fin
d -lftdi1
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
error: command 'g++' failed with exit status 1

I can see it's tanking on the FTDI stuff, but I have no idea where it's looking for that.  If anyone can point me toward where it's getting these things, maybe I can correct the paths or some such. 

As a side note, now that the PD-LEDs are getting sold, it might be worth considering updating the master so the 1-click install is up to date.

Thanks!

Dave

Gerry Stellenberg

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PinballControllers.com
Re: Installation errors
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 01:18:35 PM »
Hi Dave,

I'm not sure how Compy's automated installer handles this, but we're using different libraries for the FTDI device in Windows vs Linux/Mac.  So you'll need to change the libraries line in pypinproc/setup.py to:

Code: [Select]
libraries = ['pinproc', 'ftd2xx'],

The full windows setup guide is here: http://pinballcontrollers.com/wiki/Windows_build_instructions

As a side note, now that the PD-LEDs are getting sold, it might be worth considering updating the master so the 1-click install is up to date.

Good point.  We should definitely do this soon.  Thanks.

- Gerry

Toyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 03:04:56 PM »
Thanks Gerry, I will give that a shot!

Mark Jarzewiak

• Wizard
  • Mark Jarzewiak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 10:22:27 PM »
Not sure where to post this, but I need help.  I've used the Single Click installer but when I am trying to debug why my starter.py won't run, I have been going through error after error.  I kinda thought the starter.py was supposed to get you started?  :)  At any rate, I'm now getting an ImportError in WingIDE: No module named pinproc.  What now?  I can't seem to find the pinproc module myself and some of the wiki documentation points to folders that weren't created in my install or were named differently.  For example there is no pyprocgame folder, but there is a pyprocgame-master folder.  Same for pypinproc, but no procgame.py or pinproc.py file.  I'm sure my ignorance of this is obvious so I could use some help figuring this out.  I've really got a P-ROC in a machine now and I think it is time to get to coding, if I can just get the thing flipping.

Nate

• Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 10:36:51 PM »
I'm not much good with these things either, but it sounds as though you haven't/the installer didn't run the setup.py files. IE, if you CD into the pyprocgame-master directory, then run python setup.py I though it then creates the appropriate folders.

I could be completely wrong though...

There is also another post that takes you through install set by step. As long as you follow that explicitly... ie print it out and cross each step off because if you miss one it won't work, it is fine.

Spinape

• Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 11:57:52 PM »
Perhaps I can help a bit, I went from knowing nothing to flipping.

Pyprocgame-master is correct, so dont worry about that. Compy's installer should work fine. Starter.py won't show you results. start with having fake proc not commented out, then hook up when things are running well

Any questions regarding it, feel free to ask. I've probably asked Michael 20-30 questions by now!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:15:39 AM by Spinape »

Spinape

• Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:11:54 AM »
Try getting creature from the wiki page. Very simple starting point should run fine using your fake proc in the config... If this doesnt load, then something surely went wrong with the install

Mark Jarzewiak

• Wizard
  • Mark Jarzewiak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:35:46 AM »
I've got Creature as well.  Still getting the No module named pinproc error.  setup has been run as part of compy's installer but I also manually ran it.

MOcean

• P3 Developers
  • Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 07:39:43 AM »
To simplify, don't bother with WingIDE until it's working on the Python command line.  Let us know what operating system you are running and (if windows, if it's 64bit or 32bit).  If it's 64bit you likely need to download and run the 64bit DPInst.exe directly from the ftdi site (this is in another thread).

The simplest test is just running Python and typing:
Code: [Select]
import pinproc
If that fails it's because the pinproc module isn't installed.

Were there errors when the installer ran?

Mark Jarzewiak

• Wizard
  • Mark Jarzewiak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 07:46:36 AM »
I ran the DP64inst from the installers folder.  I'm on Win7 64bit.  No other errors that I can recall.  I'll reload from the ftdi site.  When I run python and then execute: import pinproc, I get the ImportError: No module named pinproc.  I guess something else went wrong?  Everything else seems good but I can't find pinproc anywhere on my computer and can't find it on preble's github.  Blerg.

MOcean

• P3 Developers
  • Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
Installation errors
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 07:51:36 AM »

Mark Jarzewiak

• Wizard
  • Mark Jarzewiak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 04:38:33 PM »
This:

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=384

may help.

I appreciate that but still can't find the extension to install into my system.  It seems that finding this extension wouldn't be such a difficulty.  In that thread it mentions looking into the /ext subdirectory to install pinproc.  The only directory like that is buried in the mingw folder and contains no pinproc module.  I know I've had this working before but had to rebuild my whole system.  blerg.  If I could just get whatever installs pinproc I think I'd be fine.  Strangely enough both of my boxes are 64 bit and I'm running into the same issue on this desktop and my dev laptop.

I have followed the instructions in the pypinproc-master for installation but the cmd window gets to "running build_ext" - building pinproc extension then says "Unable to find vcvarsall.bat" and exits without building the module.  Any idea where to get that file?

UPDATE: I've tried reinstalling GCC and now it gets a bit along but gives several warnings about PyObject and then gives an error that it cannot find -lpinproc and exits.  I don't know why this would be such an issue but it is driving me crazy.  double blerg, going to work out so I don't go completely psycho. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:02:58 PM by Mark Jarzewiak »

MOcean

• P3 Developers
  • Michael Ocean
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 05:22:38 PM »
You shouldn't need to do all this.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

Download the driver (64bit) from there and install it then try to import pinproc.

Mark Jarzewiak

• Wizard
  • Mark Jarzewiak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
You shouldn't need to do all this.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

Download the driver (64bit) from there and install it then try to import pinproc.

Already did all of that, to no avail.  Tried again though.

I've tried uninstalling the components of P-ROC and reinstalling, still no luck.  I'm still getting the vcvarsall error.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:42:52 PM by Mark Jarzewiak »

Toyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 12:33:03 AM »
I had a very similar issue a couple months back.  This fixed it for me (from another forum post by Jimmy):

Can you download this library: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/downlinks/zlib-bin-zip.php

Extract and copy bin/zlib1.dll (just the DLL file, not the folder) to C:\Windows\System32 and re-run the installer?

That should fix the issue. MinGW changed a few things upstream and this zlib1.dll file is missing from many systems. It is now required by MinGW unfortunately.

Try that, or check to see if you have the file in System32.

Dave